Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale Brand Specific Tech > MCD SC5 Short Course Truck

Notices

Thread: Mcd vs losi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Racer

Default Mcd vs losi

Hey guys....I'm a lurker on here...I am considering either a w5 or a Losi.
Honestly I like the w5 better.

I have no experience with MCD. I have been running Bajas for a few years.

I am hesitant to get the MCD only cause the shock towers look plastic and the shocks look weak.

Can anyone give me more details on the mcd, and why it would be better than the losi?

Thanks
nurchburgler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Racer

Also....is it better to get the race rrv4 and convert it later...I do not see a race version of the w5?

Thanks guys
Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Addict

Default Re: Mcd vs losi

Other than plastic shock bodies (which MCD is switching all models to), it has the Competition goodies.

I am going MCD as well. I have yet to see the Losi run, but I have gotten to check them out. It is a heavy truck, much heavier than the MCD. MCD has been in the 5th scale 4x4 game longer than anyone else. The RRV4 platform is the best design to date. The guys I know that have them love them.

Personally I am going with an MCD.

One thing to think about though, If you plan on racing make sure the tracks you race will allow you to compete with the MCD.
highwaystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaystar View Post
Other than plastic shock bodies (which MCD is switching all models to), it has the Competition goodies.

I am going MCD as well. I have yet to see the Losi run, but I have gotten to check them out. It is a heavy truck, much heavier than the MCD. MCD has been in the 5th scale 4x4 game longer than anyone else. The RRV4 platform is the best design to date. The guys I know that have them love them.

Personally I am going with an MCD.

One thing to think about though, If you plan on racing make sure the tracks you race will allow you to compete with the MCD.
Yeah i was thinking about that....since 4x4 is pretty new to California then I don't see anyone complaining about mcd vs losi.

Drive train on These mcd trucks buggies...are they strong...I plan on putting an Obr 30.5 long rod in it.

Upgrades look ridiculously expensive...man the aluminum arms were like 600 bucks (I don't use aluminum arms but it's the principal)

So would you go race runner and convert

Or just go truck out the gate. If everything is the same competition version then I guess the truck is the best bet.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Racer

I run on an astro track here in the UK and in all honesty the MCD's spend as much time in the pits than they do on the track......if you get a good block on the Losi it flies (BZM TT in mine) I also find the MCD parts expensive in comparison to the Losi. Don't get me wrong fellas I had a RRV4 but kept breaking arms and cvds, so I got rid and bought a Losi 5ive

Cheers

Adam
darcywass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
I break shit

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurchburgler View Post

I am hesitant to get the MCD only cause the shock towers look plastic and the shocks look weak.

Can anyone give me more details on the mcd, and why it would be better than the losi?

Thanks
I have two MCD Rally's and even though they are not an offroad version of the MCD's they are very fun to drive both on road and in mild off road with my Rally Cross setup.

After getting some time to bash & race my Losi last weekend I will say that it is easiest 1/5 scale R/C I've driven. It is amazing just how easy this rig is to get around a track, it really leveled the field of novice to expert drivers all driving in the same class with no problems at all. And the Losi is so damn strong right out of the box (after doing the few recommended fixes before you run it).

I can't say first hand if the MCD W5 is as durable as the Losi is out of the box (hopefully the guys at largescalerc chime in) but I would recommend the Losi purely because of the aftermarket upgrades (even Losi's upgrades are WAY cheaper then MCD's) that are available.

The one thing I do love more about the MCD's are the dual steering servos. IMO it's a necessity in these heavy 4x4's.

To bad you weren't in Norcal, I'd let you drive my MCD and Losi to get a better idea of what you might like better.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Racer

That's the exact info I wanted...someone who has had both the MCD and losi.
I wanna try the MCD real bad...but the Losi just seems to fit the bill better.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Racer

I have the MCD rrv4 comp it handles great an is a lot lighter than the losi i do know MCD can take a beating as far a upgrades there are lots out there im sure some day i will get a losi thats just because i want them all
glenn201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Addict

Quote:

Thanks
Both vehicles have good points! I like both! I don't have track time with the Losi yet, but from what I here it is very good.

Both will take the biggest and baddest motor/pipe combos you can find! More power will make it more exciting.

If you are looking at an MCD to race with the Losi get the W5. I realy like the tires/wheel combo on it. I also like the Extended front shock towers and Shocks on the front. At 28.5 lbs ready to run, the MCD will have a significant weight advantage over the Losi and the Dual steering servos is a Huge bonus.

Both the MCD and the Losi are very solid out of the box, so you don't need to spend to upgrade right away if you don't want to.

Either way, you can't go wrong!
LargeScaleRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
Addict

Quote:

Thanks
Well I have an early EVO 2 MCD and the Losi also an Smartech Titan was a monster truck as was my MCD until I converted them to Trophy Truck/Short Course truck style, I also run the HPI T and two B's, so have a lot to compare with.
My MCD spends more time on the bench in need of wrenching or waiting for parts, mainly drive train issues, but I think most have been sorted by now reading the many post's on MCD's, my Smartech is ace cheap to buy cheap to run quite robust a nice drive, but not much for tuning but hey did I mention cheap it gets anthing I can find that look's close to the broken part and is cheap and available here's the but the Losi makes me look good when driving it, by far the nicest to drive it responds to any tweak's you do on it so you know if you are going in the right direction, the aftermarket parts are starting to arrive so any issues and upgrades you might fancy are there, but to be honest you could leave it almost stock and be happy with it, it is the best of both world's.
It may be heavier and bigger but that to be honest actually is in its favour. Stick a good pipe my favourite is the Bartolone I have tried two others, I run in quite tight an area so I have fitted the 18T pinion and now it light's up all four tyres on dry tarmac.
I loved it in stock, but I have the fever when it comes to my 15 strong Rc fleet, I cant resist wrenching and as the Losi does'nt break I resorted to adding parts as I feel it will benefit from adding them.
If i want to repair something instead of cleaning and seviceing I will take one of my three HPI bajas an FG or my MCD to my favourite bashing spot and beat on them there, I take my Losi for when I have broke everything else lol.
arthurdaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Basher

I would be concerned about parts availability/costs with the MCD.
Croozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
Basher

Have no knowledge or experience with MCD but own a Losi..Just got back from the Nirto Challenge where there were almost 30 Losi 5ives there..The track was fast and had high speed jumps. If you crashed you tumbled quite a bit..I think I saw 2 5ives pull out of racing and that includes 3 quals and mains over 2 days...Not sure if the two had chassis or motor issues....These trucks are easy to drive and VERY durable, especially in the racing environment...
sjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Team Driver:
Turtle Racing, DarkSoul Racing ,Team FastEddy

I would for sure check in with your local track before going with the MCD.
The MCD is a much smaller truck it is more like 1/6 scale.
sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #14
Basher

I like the weight of the MCD vs the Losi but I don't want to be sidelined waiting for parts to come from Turkey.
Croozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Basher

Quote:

Thanks
Just buy both! problem solved... Then you can let everyone know which you think is best.
racer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
Addict

I really like my Losi it can really take a beating you have hardly no pit Time.
xxSwagxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Basher

Well unfortunately I don't own either one, but I did see both of them on the track where I raced my Baja, and if would buy one, it would defo be the Losi 5ive! It's much, much more stable across bumpy terrain! You do need a stronger engine then stock to get it to fly over the track, but other then that - hats off to Losi!
Jeff1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #18

I have both. Losi and MCD.
On the track.
Depends on what track you drive. On bumpy tracks with a a lot of jumps i prefer Losi. It is much more stable, and when you push throttle it just go straight. Also with a such huge front bumper, landing after jumps is much easier. It is wide and even with soft suspension it is not easy to roll it over. We have a rather bumpy track, and after two years with MCD, racing on Losi on the same track was very relaxing to me. But i still have good laps.
MCD is for more flat tracks and is good on not high jumps, but with good speed. The suspension is a bit tight and have less travel, then Losi have. It also good for asphalt tracks and high speed tracks, because it accelerates faster than Losi

W5 is the same chassis than V4 but with thin bumpers and body. The guys on our track break them after few races. I have a V4 and then i bought conversion to W5. So i sold it after the first race. Because it make MCD look like SC, but it does not work like SC. The front bumper is weak and do not help when you landing with nose drop, it just bends. Rear bumper does not protect rear suspension. The body supported on the top with only 2 body posts. The roll cage is much lower, than the body roof. My friend broke a spark plug on his W5 after he landed on the roof. So the W5 conversion help MCD just look like SC, but it is not the real truck. But this bumpers, body weights much less then Losi bumpers and body

So here is my advise. If you want to buy a buggy this is definitely will be MCD. If you want to buy an SC for hard racing and hard bashing - the Losi is the only way to go. And if you race on good flat and high speed tracks- may be you can buy MCD W5

Speaking about the design, the Losi construction is much easier, because it have less parts and some of them are duplicated. The wheel drive shafts are the same, diffs are the same (exept gearbox gears), the torque from the motor transfered directly to the central diff. I have also owned FG, FS, Smartech and i must to say, that Losi have the simplest transmission i have ever seen. Then less parts in transmission, than more robust of the car.

Speaking about quality, i found that Losi have better metal quality. Just an example - losi shock shafts are better polished, also it have strong suspension hinge pins, polished, while mcd hinge pins are not polished and made from soft steel.

But i still love my V4.
Losi and MCD v4 are very cool cars and will show all their potential, if you will use them right.

Last edited by MaxDor; 06-24-2012 at 03:04 AM.
MaxDor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #19

here a short vid of MCD and losi , i would have to say losi very stable car

evopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #20
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evopower View Post
here a short vid of MCD and losi , i would have to say losi very stable car

Sweetnap raceway 4wd final 12 8 12 - YouTube
Here in the UK the new large scale Short Course truck class is in it's early day's, so ninety percent of the class is the Losi 5ive-T but there are two MCD W5SC truck's, these are usually in first and third place at most meeting's, go on the BRCA site and click on the large scale off road section and you will find the results there and you will see what I mean, if in the UK the MCD would not be a bad buy spare's are plentiful, along with the FTX in four wheel drive buggy is a winning combination also well priced to race or bash.
You have large scale rc in the States and their MCD stock is pretty good and not over the top price wise, there are a couple of new FG four wheel drive truck's just released one is a AMG BMW bodied Trophy Truck the other a generic Short Course truck, both priced well and are RTR 26cc 2.4ghz radio gear and both ddm and large scale rc have spare's, the running gear is a well proven set up very reliable and part's again are pretty good.
I run three HPI baja's one 5T two 5B's along with my Losi an MCD three FG's and an Smartech Titan the MCD and Smartech were both monster truck's but now converted to Short Course/Trophy truck's. I love my Losi but if I was just starting up in largescale I would buy one of the FG truck offering's and next the MCD but I am in the UK so cost is a little less than in the USA.
arthurdaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Mcd vs losi - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MCD wheels on Losi Sayyaaf LargeScaleRC 5 02-17-2012 02:08 AM
My MCD RallyCross badger MCD Rally 21 11-20-2011 10:05 AM
Mcd glenn201 MCD Race Runner, Pro-Line, EVO2 and EVO3, Monster Truck 4 10-08-2011 08:45 AM
My new MCD X4 Rally badger MCD Rally 66 08-12-2011 11:51 AM
Mcd gottaclone CraftWerks-RC 1 02-28-2010 07:26 AM