Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale Brand Specific Tech > Losi 5ive-T

Notices

Thread: Losi 5ive T Gearing Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Basher

Default Losi 5ive T Gearing Options

Looking for what type of gearing is appropriate for various conditions. Losi 5ive t in my opinion lags in low and mid range stock. I change out the pipe and bottom and mid range was enhanced nicely. Top end still lags a bit even with adjustments to the carb. I don't want to take away from the bottom and mid range for top speed but i would like to see a bit more. I am still running stock gearing. Who can explain general gearing to me in regards to the pinion and spur gear and what benefits i would see depending up raising or lowering the gearing.

Thank you in advance...

Paco Chubbz
Paco Chubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Addict

Default Re: Losi 5ive T Gearing Options

vertigo manufacture a good selection and a very high quality,their hex clutch bell is IMO one of the best for the Losi, again I have several of their product's and can not fault them, and also have a look on FreePrawn Racing, under Blackbone racing there is a good gear kit made by them, I have some of their product's, can not fault them very high standard, and IMO very both well priced.
Hope this will get you where you wish to go, do not forget to order the motor mount insert's appropriate for the gear changes, although if my memory serves me right the Blackbone system doe's not require doing this, the vertigo one's need to change the insert's but it is not as straight forward so check the thread on this forum about the insert's for the vertigo gearing.
arthurdaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Basher

Thank you. Do you have suggestion on what pinion/spur would work to add top end with out taking much of the bottom end? Currently I am running stock 19/58.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Addict

Garage

The stock engine can pull a 20 tooth pinion with a pipe anymore than that and you'll be under powered on the low but you'll have good top speed.
When you get yourself a modded engine you'll be able to play around with gearing more.

Last edited by Scope75; 07-22-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Scope75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Addict

The stock gearing is the way to go with a stock motor. A 18t will kill the top speed but make it faster off the line and a 20t will kill the bottom end give you more top speed. A 9500 rpm clutch spring will help the bottom end.

Rob Burns
R&LB Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Addict

Garage

My favorite setup with a stock engine or a 30.5 top end was a HR clutch set, vertigo bell, 20 tooth pinion, and a Bartolone pipe.
Scope75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Addict

Try an 20 although as the other's say it is a trade off, I run a 29cc with Bartolone pipe and it will pull the 20 but where I run the straight is quite short so I have actually dropped to an 18, mega acceleration, top end slower but Ideal for where I bash locally, I am going to have to get a pinion wrench to make swapping easier then I will swap back more often if it is easier.
arthurdaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Basher

Thank you guys. All good suggestiions. sounds like for now i better get a gear kit and have a 20T for dirt oval and play around with a 18/19T for the track (depending on the track) I assume the clutch would inhance more of the off the line power not mid range correct? If this is the case, how is opening up the mid range acompished? Does this get into getting a moded engine? Currently I am running a losi tuned pipe witch seam to be ok except for the broken flang that happed this weekend...

PC

Tags
losi 5t gearing options

Losi 5ive T Gearing Options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gearing SlowKrawl Losi 5ive-T 6 05-06-2012 10:25 AM
losi clutch options ? nitro-killer Losi 5ive-T 9 03-21-2012 08:21 AM
Losi 5ive gear options by Vertigo Vertigo Performance Losi 5ive-T 0 01-29-2012 07:05 AM
Gearing sjracing Losi 5ive-T 6 01-18-2012 10:09 AM
ss gearing andrew cook HPI Baja 5B 2 07-10-2009 08:02 PM