Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale Brand Specific Tech > Losi 5ive-T

Notices

Thread: Steering Servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #1

Question Steering Servo

Hello everyone, I've been a reader of this forum for a while but this is the first time I post anything, it was all the great information on this forum that helped me made the decision to finally get a 5ive-t of my own.

Now, I ran my truck for 1 break in tank (taking it easy) and now about two tanks of just bashing but nothing too crazy. This afternoon my steering servo stopped working, while taking a turn, it locked itself to one side, when I turn the power on, the servo moves to that side and it doesn't move at all with the remote, I tried another receiver just in case and it still didn't work, which tells me is not the receiver, so my questions to you guys are:

Is this a common problem for the servo (LOSI S900S)?
Is this covered under warranty?

Please advise. Thanks
salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Basher

Default Re: Steering Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
Hello everyone, I've been a reader of this forum for a while but this is the first time I post anything, it was all the great information on this forum that helped me made the decision to finally get a 5ive-t of my own.

Now, I ran my truck for 1 break in tank (taking it easy) and now about two tanks of just bashing but nothing too crazy. This afternoon my steering servo stopped working, while taking a turn, it locked itself to one side, when I turn the power on, the servo moves to that side and it doesn't move at all with the remote, I tried another receiver just in case and it still didn't work, which tells me is not the receiver, so my questions to you guys are:

Please advise. Thanks
Call Horizon and they might take care of you since a few others have had troubles as well. Prolly have to pay shipping if they want your servo. But, if have the funds the best thing to do would be to buy a better one way you wont be in this shape again once it goes out from normal use.

Good luck! The number is located in a recient thread titled Contact Horizon I think.
alford35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post

Please advise. Thanks
I had the same exact issue. Called horizon, they tell you to fill out a service request forum, you pay for shipping to them, and hopefully they claim it as a warranty and send you a new one for free. :-)

This seems to be a fairly consistent issue.
loweandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Racer

Add another to the list with a dead servo, but it was throttle for me. The steering servo is hanging in there as of right now anyways.
SlowKrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #5

I spoke to Losi today, nice guy, I need to send the servo in and if they can recreate the issue they will send me a new one right away, he promised a quick around time. He also confirmed that the servo is a Savox, just renamed Losi, so changing to a Savox will not make any difference, that I probably was unlucky and got a bad servo.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Addict

Ha! I replaced my steering with a real savox and its a world of difference.

I would sell off the new stock one and go aftermarket.

I read too many problems with the stock stuff that comes in this truck to even wanna use it with it all.

My receiver failed me,the servos failed me and the battery wasn't very good either.

I also upgraded to the Orion life receiver pack which has a little more punch than the nimh that comes with it.
Oregon_Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Basher View Post
Ha! I replaced my steering with a real savox and its a world of difference.

I would sell off the new stock one and go aftermarket.

I read too many problems with the stock stuff that comes in this truck to even wanna use it with it all.

My receiver failed me,the servos failed me and the battery wasn't very good either.

I also upgraded to the Orion life receiver pack which has a little more punch than the nimh that comes with it.
Maybe they are a lower quality or cheaper kind of Savox, I will test the new one and see how it goes, I will definitely replace the plastic one anyways (throttle), eventually I will get a real Savox and move the steering to throttle. I am getting the Orion life battery tomorrow as well.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
Addict

That battery makes for a huge difference but I think I may end up going 2s LiPo just to have the extra voltage pushing the savox.

And that's what I did was move the throttle to the trash and the steering to the throttle.

Qs soon as I can get the higher torque savox I will retire the remaining losi servo.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
That battery makes for a huge difference but I think I may end up going 2s LiPo just to have the extra voltage pushing the savox.

And that's what I did was move the throttle to the trash and the steering to the throttle.

Qs soon as I can get the higher torque savox I will retire the remaining losi servo.
Which Savox servo did you get, and from where?

How much of a difference did you noticed and what kind (faster steering, more, etc)?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Addict

I got the 0235

SAVSV0235MG

Its faster,stronger and doesn't fade or over heat.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Addict

Quote:
I got the 0235

SAVSV0235MG

Its faster,stronger and doesn't fade or over heat.
a HA! thats what i thought. so u think losi had savox make a servo to LOSI specs in the savox case. by chance did you do an autopsy to confirm any visible differences?
auto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Addict

I think savox used crap internals for the stock servos so they could make double the profit by selling out of aftermarket servos shortly after people got they're 5ives.

I have not opened it yet,when I get the other savox servo I'll compare em and snap some pics.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Addict

my guess is horizon said make us your servo but we will only pay @&%$23 for it .
Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #14

Do you mean they are in it for the profit? I thought the really care about my feelings. Hahahaha

I got the replacement Losi servo today, I am going to use it until I get the Savox, I hope it last longer than the other one. But I think I am going for the SAVSV0236MG, slightly slower but more torque.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #15

Yeah, it was my throttle servo that stuck wide open while I was running! Thank god she flipped on her top and I was able to hit the kill switch. So I'm waiting on my savox 0235( which has been shipped) and still waiting on a 0236 when ever they are back in stock! I have to say though pretty nerve racking when u have no control on a 30lb + car! One reason that I dumped nitro for electric
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
Addict

changed my steering servo with savox 235 and am now running lipo. its a HUGE difference. turns the tires on high grass not moving back and forth fast with no fade after 10 minutes.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #17

I ordered my Savox 236 from ddm, can't wait to put it on, I am already running the TEAM ORION AVIONICS LIFE RX PACK, so I am hoping to see an improvement on the steering.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
Racer

Mine died today....locks to the right and won't turn...
billbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Addict

Yep that's an RTR for ya. Upgrading my servos next week before any bling:)
Kolunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #20

The losi servos are a weak link in the package.. I have been through 3 now and have heard around it's pretty common.. It's shame too because the truck is about indestructible but the servos blow. I hear that horizon is a good company and will help you out. I myself need to call them to help me out..
Truckt up is offline   Reply With Quote

Steering Servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
steering servo vito Electronics 15 07-26-2012 09:12 AM
steering servo bajasstony Electronics 8 07-27-2010 06:51 AM
steering servo buck5617 Electronics 29 03-30-2010 06:09 AM
rhino steering servo BaJaFiVeTeE Electronics 7 11-03-2009 09:57 AM
Help ! HPI steering servo JIMBO Electronics 8 01-03-2009 07:56 AM