Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale Brand Specific Tech > HPI Baja 5B

Notices

Thread: Is the Baja your first 5th scale RC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
The Slowest Guy in Town

Default Is the Baja your first 5th scale RC?

There are a lot of new people here on this site and i was just wondering if the Baja is your first large scale rc.

Why did you choose the Baja?
Where did you first see one?

-Ed
FastEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Racer

The BAJA is my first large scale. A friend got a RTR when they first came out and I thought it was cool. When the SS came out I had to have it. I have one more nitro to sell. I probably will never do nitro again. I just got started in rc rock crawlers also and love it.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #3

I have a hpi hellfire and was cruising their site when i was the baja the first time. when i saw to SS kit it put it over the top i had to have it. got mine back in febuary and now its june and i have 2
thunderstorm2_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Made in.....

It is indeed my first large scale rc.

The first time I saw one in person is after my dad bought a RTR when they first cam out and brought it over. At the time I was heavy into nitro and found it cumbersome and sluggish. I was still impressed by the ease of starting and runtime though.

I since inherited his RTR and decided to keep it and with the advice of a good friend, I kept it and started to hop it up. Needless to say I am hooked and am now through with nitro.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by robmob; 06-04-2008 at 09:37 AM.
robmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Basher

yes, my baja is my first. like everybody else, i used to run nitro's. since the purchase of my baja, i have been selling off the small nitro's. they just don't appeal to me the same way any more. i'm now planning on a second ss
nothinbetr2do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Addict

My buddy actually bought a Baja, and I just broke it for him, my first large scale was a FG Sportline Sedan, but then came more Baja's as we started to develop more and more parts for it.
DarkSoul Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #7

The 5B rtr is my first gas powered RC.

I'm hoping to get the SS kit someday so I can build one.

-Ben
FiveBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #8

I came over to Baja's from the nitro RC truck world and I probably won't go back (I have 13 nitro's). I like the way the Baja starts and the lack of tuning issues. The run time is great on the Baja compared to the nitros. If I had known what I know now I would have gone straight to Baja's and I could have 6 of them for what I have in $ in my 13 nitro's. The forums like Fast Eddie's and the HPIBajaforum.com are very informative and friendly. If you are just thinking about a Baja don't hesitate, get one, go to the forums for information and have fun.
MOfroggy
MOfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #9

This is my first 5th scale. I was in the 1/10 before (drifting), tried one XXX-T (offroad electric) but didn't get much fun from it. I said I would buy a nitro for offroad instead.

But a friend of mine found a nice deal on a used RTR that I couldn't refuse :P This thing is sooo much better!

I always saw people using nitro having a hard time starting their engine, and the smell... ah it's aweful. Nothing beats the smell of gas with 2 strokes oil! and the sound is a lot better IMHO.
Boomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #10

Default Why the Baja

Hello there,

I choosed the Baja after reading a lot of forums,magazines etc..

I think that if you choose quality products its costing more $$

than poor quality products.that is with every thing i ques.

So i saved a few months more $$ and i bought a high quality product.

I have a good feeling with the Baja better then with the cheaper FG
cars but that is my opinion.

Regards,

Ray,the netherlands
goofyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #11

I saw the baja in the lhs when my step son and I were getting parts for our nitros. I checked it out and then got it. A couple hours later I was tearin up my front yard. Now I own a couple large scale, I just picked up the Rampage TT5.
flint mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:34 AM   #12

Not only my first large scale but also my first petrol rc and my first rc car of any type for 10 years. When I was younger I was into 1/10 electric. Now the bug has bitten again and I'm saving up for my second ss. All donations gratefully accepted
ukbajadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #13

The Baja is my first 1/5 scale RC.

Like a few others coming from Nitro RC.

The Building the HPI Baja 5B SS. Page By page Video Tutorials is great.

Still feels a little intimidating looking at all the parts in the box.
suzukiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
Addict

Thumbs up

I have been into and out of RC for a long time. I got back in and bought a Revo 3.3. Ran it for a while with my brother in law who has several of the same scale.

One day my wife and I went to visit (close by) and he had this HUGE MONSTER!! I was enthralled!! We went out to a nearby field and he let me run it.

After 40 minutes of craziness (still not out of fuel!! AMAZING), we walked back to his house. My wife and I (she had been on me to get a hobby to unwind, I work too much and worry about work too much) got into the pickup and she said "let's go". I excitedly looked at her inquisitively, she said "does Hobby Town carry it", I said " not sure babe".

We were OFF!!!! (Bonanza theme playing) We quickly drove to a Hobby Town about 20 miles away and slapped down a crap load of cash.

That was over a year ago, and here I am now...........

My first and only (for now) large scale, but I am now thinking of selling my Revo. Any interest? Has a brand new just broke-in OS engine

I want to do some upgrades; and get other large scales. Just not sure if I want another Baja (maybe a SS) or a different brand.... Maybe you guys can learn me!!

Last edited by HarleyDan; 07-22-2008 at 07:47 AM.
HarleyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #15
Addict

Ya, I now have -

-4.5 Bajas
•1 Sand Baja
•1 Roadrace Baja
•1 in pieces waiting for a new "Baja Vision" to strike
•Super twin

I also have 2 MCD

A Baja 1000-

And a RaceRunner

And my FG sedan, but its in pieces

Then there are all my minis, which many of need paint still. I am trying to get them all painted up so I can do a "stable" shot.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #16
Addict

Dang!! Dude!! That duely is pretty incredible! I like the road car too. But the off-road stuff is easier to find a place to run than the street cars....

Last edited by HarleyDan; 07-19-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #17
Addict

Brice and I built the twin, it is probably one of the funnest things I have ever driven. We will be taking it to Dunetoberfest with us. People go nuts when that thing is up and running.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #18
The Slowest Guy in Town

Here are a few movies I took of it at RCX

http://fasteddy.smugmug.com/gallery/...467_5tPJC-A-LB

http://fasteddy.smugmug.com/gallery/...190_jevgK-A-LB
FastEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #19
Addict

Very cool, even though most are shelf queens.......
Old 07-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #20

Hey everyone!
I just joined the forums and thought this would be an ideal place for first post.
I bought a Baja 5b RTR about a month ago, but still have not put as much fuel though it as I would have liked.

About 4 or 5 months ago a friend and I were in a local hobby shop and we had not looked into RC cars since we were just kids. When our eyes landed upon the Revo 3.3 we were amazed - and left the store with one each! :)

About a week later after a series of bashing and crashes my mate needed to get some new wheels and tyres, and the original hobby shop did not have any in stock. We went to a different hobby shop in the area who had what we needed. They also had the Baja 5b RTR. I got a similar feeling as the one when I first saw the Revo a week beforehand, only it was stronger. I have to be honest, a big part of me really wished that I had seen this monster of a machine first.

I ended up pushing the Baja out of my mind for a while and invested $$$ into the Revo, but kept coming across videos on Youtube of the Baja 5b and I had to buy it.

About a month ago I dropped the cash on it. I love both of my RC's to death! I keep breaking bits on the Revo so it gets the most money poured into it, and the Baja just keeps on going so all I really want to do is pop a better exhaust on. Nothing REQUIRES replacing at this point though!

Now I am looking forward to saving up and getting my hands on a Baja 5b SS. I saw the kids around me when I was young building these things and was surprised how much RTR stuff there is out there. I *NEED* an SS to I can get my fix of doing a build - something I didn't get to do as a kid! :P

Out for now,
-Brad
adxdopefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Is the Baja your first 5th scale RC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/5th scale V8 LOST IN MN Chit Chat 8 05-20-2013 09:33 AM
How did you get into 5th scale R/C? highwaystar Chit Chat 24 02-09-2012 08:33 PM
1/5th Scale Oval jim hustins Videos! 2 10-26-2011 08:12 PM
1/5th scale snowmobile LOST IN MN Non Large Scale RC's 4 09-15-2011 08:05 AM
liking 1/5th Scale lords Introduce yourself 3 11-30-2008 08:34 PM