Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale Brand Specific Tech > HPI Baja 5B

Notices

Thread: Best clutch upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #1

Default Best clutch upgrade

I am wanting to upgrade my clutch and am wondering which to get. I know everyone says tr clutch system but why? I want everything to be true and line up properly so why not use the HPI Billet Clutch Bell Carrier, vertigo Billet Clutch Cover Carrier or Ramtech Billet Enclosed Clutch Holder? I am not a racer just run for fun, i guess basher, and I don't run in any sand just grass, dirt, fields and on-road. I just think spending $200 when you can spend $50 or $75 isn't the smartest thing. If anyone has a opinion on which to get that would be appreciated. Thanks
chuck9044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Addict

I've been lucky enough to use the stock setup with great success. Haven't melted any carriers yet and blew 2 stock bearings and a third on the layshaft got a bit griddy.

I plan to run in sand so an enclosed setup is warrented. As for your bashing, I fully agree, the HPI billet setup has larger bearings just like tr's. But do upgreade the bearings to Fast Eddy's replacements.

But wait, don't stop there... The billet HPI layshaft bearing is -also- bigger. This TR doesn't do. The best way to upgrade any roller system is to use bigger bearings. In the end you will still be out a little over a $bill but it will make the system a ton stronger.

Bash On! :2cents:
Tommy's_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Racer

I just ordered the vertigo setup with the nut and stem bell that goes all the way tru the 2 bearings,looks solid and should run straight.The nut should stay tight all the time too and no more bolt.If this doesn't work than I'll probably try the tr sys..I think the weak spot is where the pinion and bell come together in the stock setup seems any movement there is going to to harm to the bolt and cause the bell to spin out of round.I don't run in the sand yet so enclosed is not needed at this time.
ctdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #4

The only problem I see with the turtle racing System and new vertigo bell with hex shaft for pinion, is they both use special propritary sized pinions. Since these pinions are out of the mainstream, if you have one of these systems, and need a different number of teeth, or a replacment pinion, you are stuck with finding one of these special ones, with only one manufacture. Since both are small companies and subject to quick changes, we could easily find either one out of business or no longer getting the pinions made..

I just like it when i know there is more than one manufacture making parts that will work in an application, so we don't get stuck with an expensive stepchild.

But, I do know for a fact, either system is a very good product and will work nicely

Dennis
BigGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Addict

tr makes two systems, one for stock bells and pinions and the larger diameter HD system. In the event h&ll does freeze over, one could make a sleeve for the HD systems that will adapt stock parts.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Racer

Yes I know what you mean.vertigo states they are going to make more pinions available for their sys. very soon,so I let you know how this set-up works after I thoroughly trash on it after install.lol
Old 01-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy's_Toys View Post
I've been lucky enough to use the stock setup with great success. Haven't melted any carriers yet and blew 2 stock bearings and a third on the layshaft got a bit griddy.

I plan to run in sand so an enclosed setup is warrented. As for your bashing, I fully agree, the HPI billet setup has larger bearings just like TR's. But do upgreade the bearings to Fast Eddy's replacements.

But wait, don't stop there... The billet HPI layshaft bearing is -also- bigger. This TR doesn't do. The best way to upgrade any roller system is to use bigger bearings. In the end you will still be out a little over a $bill but it will make the system a ton stronger.

Bash On! :2cents:

Thanks for the fast replies and help. If I went with the HPI carrier why get the fast eddie bearings doesn't it come with larger bearings? Also what are you saying about the layshaft or bearings? I'm sorry just confused.
chuck9044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Addict

No prob... team fasteddy bearings -are- better bearings. HPI doesn't supply the best bearings in the world. team fasteddy's definitely last longer.

The layshaft bearing upgrade is this one:

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/87559/
Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Racer

As far as bearings go I've switched out my stock ones with the pro set from fast eddie and man what a difference.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Addict

the 4 shoe laut and elcon cluches work very well. have one of each. good performance, and long shoe life.

I doubt you ll see turtle going anywhere soon. he just released a Race Version of the HD carrier, as well as a lightened bell for them. The Turtles gone Mad, and also just announced a new Tranny case with a Quick change diff option!! GO you Turtle go.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #11

hi all i just ordered this for my a b5 ss,not sure if its what i wanted lol I'm new here. what exactly does it do,is it worth keeping,thanks

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.4615/.f
mohawk rcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #12

How much money do you want to spend? I've had my 5t for a few months,I love it .It goes like stink.But out of the box it needed a few upgrades.Outerwear products,dominator exhaust,Fastlanes suspension(the factory arms break easy),Hostile Racing's butterfly choke lever,stiffer springs.You get my drift.Half the fun is tinkering with it.

Last edited by Bill Steel; 02-17-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Bill Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk rcer View Post
hi all i just ordered this for my a b5 ss,not sure if its what i wanted lol I'm new here. what exactly does it do,is it worth keeping,thanks

It keeps the sand out of your clutch... it also makes sure the housing doesn't melt when the bearings get hot.

I might have opted for a different unit but that depends on where you run. Being enclosed has made some people a little nervous about overheating the clutch.

I still run stock and happy with it even though I have a TR HD system in the box.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk rcer View Post

I have had one of those on my 5B ever since they came out. It is a very well made product. It will help to keep your bell running smooth for many gallons with minimal maintenance. I am actually on my original bearings still too. It will not melt and deform like the stock plastic piece. Being that is is also enclosed, it will keep the dirt and other debris out of your clutch which will lengthen the life of the clutch shoes and bell. I also have one on my 5T, but I only have about a gallon on it so far, and it looks like I will get the same quality of use from it too.
wookiee528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #15

alright thanks for the replies guys
mohawk rcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #16

I have got a elcon clutch on my 5b. Does adjusting the RPM higher give you more wheelies?
Randy Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Best clutch upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
23 upgrade to 29 Thopper Engine & Exhaust 1 10-30-2011 07:12 PM
What to upgrade first?? Macooke HPI Baja 5SC / 5T 11 03-07-2011 07:42 PM
Brake upgrade minizibb HPI Baja 5B 1 11-20-2009 07:24 PM
TR Complete Clutch System & Clutch wear.. .. dxbshafiq Engine & Exhaust 9 03-26-2009 06:07 PM
HPI OEM HD Clutch Holder Upgrade Review. FastEddy HPI Baja 5SC / 5T 0 11-02-2008 05:12 PM