Notices

Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What's next for 1/5th Scale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Braaaaap Braaaaap

Garage
Question What's next for 1/5th Scale?

We have seen tons and tons of innovations for several Large Scale Vehicle makes. We have insanely powerful engines and e-conversions the option to turn your vehicle into a a billet beast or a light weight carbon fiber racer. Vast improvements over stock designs and lots of ad on goodies.

So what is next? What will be the next New Hot item or Innovation?

Are there things not available that you would like to see?

Post up here and let us know what you think or want to see become available.
LOST IN MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Addict

Garage
Default Re: What's next for 1/5th Scale?

Right now all I see is more and more parts being made for the Losi 5ive-T!!

I'd like to see another 5th scale 4x4 SC truck from HPI or one if the other big names.
wedoitall and PegLeg like this.
Scope75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

I agree, 4wd is where it's at for 1/5 it seems. I don't have one but I'm starting to conclude that the way 1/5 is driven makes 4wd more ideal. For example tracks are typically not groomed as well as 1/8 and 1/10 tracks. 1/5 tracks tend to be more volunteer based and a lot larger therefore the tracks tend to be less maintained. Of course non-track driving has sketchy traction at best. 4wd copes/drives better in these conditions. I too would like to see a 4wd from HPI (I'm not too convinced by the flux sc. I saw it in person).
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Addict

I am personally a bit bummed that other manufacturers have not picked up the 1/5 scale platform. The Baja has been around for 7 years now, and the only other rig on the market (not including european made 1/5 rigs) is the Losi.

This is a bit frustrating to see since the Baja sold like gangbusters, and did so for well over the first 5 years, I know personally, I just couldn't make parts fast enough for it. The Losi has been doing fairly well I guess, but nothing like the Baja did, I am sure the much higher pricepoint has something to do with that, but still......

I would like to see either Losi release a 2wd model closer to the $1000 price point, and HPI release a 4wd that comes in around the $1200-$1300 range.
Kolunatic, PegLeg and Bajatom like this.
DarkSoul Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Addict

Garage

The price of the 5ive is a lot for some to bite off and I agree it keeps guys from buying them.
Would be nice if losi dropped the price for a couple months to let some guys that are on the fence jump off and buy a 5ive.

The Flux SC can't be HPIs answer to the 5ive and I hope they get a real 1/5 4x4 SC on the market soon.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Addict

Garage

I would like to see Team Associated come out with something. If anyone can come out with a 5th scale to rival the Losi its got to be them.
supersavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Addict

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoul Racing View Post
I am personally a bit bummed that other manufacturers have not picked up the 1/5 scale platform. The Baja has been around for 7 years now, and the only other rig on the market (not including european made 1/5 rigs) is the Losi.

This is a bit frustrating to see since the Baja sold like gangbusters, and did so for well over the first 5 years, I know personally, I just couldn't make parts fast enough for it. The Losi has been doing fairly well I guess, but nothing like the Baja did, I am sure the much higher pricepoint has something to do with that, but still......

I would like to see either Losi release a 2wd model closer to the $1000 price point, and HPI release a 4wd that comes in around the $1200-$1300 range.
+ 1 on this. I would prefer to see the 2wd and 4wd gas released by each other. I think it would be good for the race scene and for the 5th in general. I think that may be why the Losi isn't selling as much as the Baja did. That and the $$Cost$$
Aasved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
Addict

I would almost guarantee that if Losi first released a 2wd to compete with the HPI Baja, they would sell a lot more; the price point would be easier to swallow, and it would create that manufacturer rivalry, and I would bet would push other companies to get in on it.
CraftWerks-RC and Aasved like this.
DarkSoul Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Braaaaap Braaaaap

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoul Racing View Post
I would almost guarantee that if Losi first released a 2wd to compete with the HPI Baja, they would sell a lot more; the price point would be easier to swallow, and it would create that manufacturer rivalry, and I would bet would push other companies to get in on it.
Agreed! Although it's great to have another car the fact that its 4x4 it doesn't compete equally with the existing 2wd class.
LOST IN MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOST IN MN View Post
Agreed! Although it's great to have another car the fact that its 4x4 it doesn't compete equally with the existing 2wd class.
That's true. I and other losis are thrown into the 2 ad class unless all 5 that I know of show at same time. I hear a lot of bitchin cuz I'm 4wd but I'm also 40 lbs to the 2wd bajas that are what 27lbs?
Ted hit it right on. An affordable 2wd entry to have the rivalry. I'm seeing more guys getting bajas due to cost. Especially when they know they'd have to go dual steering pretty quick with the losi.
And a 4wd from hpi Same weight,to compete.

The 5ive got me into 1/5, and not have to have pit help is icing. But lately been wanting a Baja to run with 2wd to not hear the bitchin,but then I hold on. I've seen other cars,trucks drop in price after awhile,that needs to happen to get
more losis out.

Theres one manuf that could pump out a 4wd ,just rather see hpi do It.
Kolunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Basher

We absolutley need a larger selection of cars. Rivalry is key to a healthy race scene which may get car manufacturers more serious about competition (sales). I think another 2wd would have the most immediate benefit. There are more HPI's out there to compete against, 2wd's lend themselves to offshoot classes like dirt oval, sand dunes, etc.
The Losi is a serious enough truck, it needs competition too. HPI is capable of fulfilling that, I think. Team Associated would be amazing.
Losi could do a few things to get the cost down on their truck such as offer a kit (smaller packaging cheaper freight), clear body, no electronics, no wall battery charger and so on.
Axis r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Addict

Would love to see a 1/5 Team Associated, on-road or off-road. Hopefully someone in the US joins the party soon, something in kit form would be nice.
I'm actually surprised that Losi hasn't made the 5ive in kit version yet could easily shave off hundreds of dollars, clear body, no electronics, no engine, smaller boxing, maybe even no tires, that alone should knock off 6-8 hundred according to their prices.
I do hope they make a buggy kit, it would get around the Hawkpit like butter, might have to do that conversion sooner than later. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343271519.457783.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  38.0 KB
Antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
Addict

Garage

I think we'll start seeing more and more electric 1/5 scale rigs. Soon electric will be king and gas will be slow and obsolete.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
Addict

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scope75 View Post
I think we'll start seeing more and more electric 1/5 scale rigs. Soon electric will be king and gas will be slow and obsolete.
Sure, so long as Lipo batteries start lasting longer than 15 mins, cost much less than $500 a set and there's an aftermarket truck-mounted speaker system which produces the convincing sound of an internal combustion engine.
PegLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
Addict

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegLeg View Post
Sure, so long as Lipo batteries start lasting longer than 15 mins, cost much less than $500 a set and there's an aftermarket truck-mounted speaker system which produces the convincing sound of an internal combustion engine.
As soon as it's pushed more all of that will be available. I think!! Lol
Old 07-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
Addict

This reminded me, I think team chase is working on a truck too. Wonder if they've made any progress or have any updates.
Antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Addict

Garage

I read about that a long time ago too.
So what's the scoop team chase??
Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
Addict

I ordered the Baja 5B flux. Fifth scale electric with a gas drivetrain. Let the burnouts begin!
Jones Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Addict

Garage

Hopefully burnouts and wheel stands aren't the only thing they'll do.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
Addict

What I'd like to see;

More tracks catering to 5th scale racing. I would love for there to be a track/facility like the Epic Scrapyard a little bit closer to me.

Secondly....A race worthy 2wd sct with the same dimensions as the 5ive-T. I'd like to race more than one class at these big races, but after having a baja for awhile....there aint no way I'll ever buy another one. Hopefully losi brings something to the table.
Black Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

What's next for 1/5th Scale? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/5th scale V8 LOST IN MN Chit Chat 8 05-20-2013 09:33 AM
How did you get into 5th scale R/C? highwaystar Chit Chat 24 02-09-2012 08:33 PM
1/5th Scale Oval jim hustins Videos! 2 10-26-2011 08:12 PM
Is the Baja your first 5th scale RC? FastEddy HPI Baja 5B 73 09-07-2010 01:06 PM
5th scale tracks uk sloth118 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 1 07-02-2010 07:12 AM