Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale General Tech > General Large Scale

Notices

Thread: How much smoke is too much???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 12:25 AM   #1

Default How much smoke is too much???

Is there a specific amount of smoke that your looking for from these 2 stroke engines to know the engine is properly lubed while running? Im using 25/1 mix as recommended but before running factory settings on the carb i barely saw any smoke while running , especially while accelerating .. now that i tuned the car a bit im seeing a healthly good amount of smoke even while idle and througout the whole acceleration from beginning to WOT....also notice the power is great compared to before when i seen less smoke? Any feedback eill be appreciated
Nutznboltz100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #2
Addict

Garage
Default Re: How much smoke is too much???

First off I never hear back about your problem solved with hard starting. Second 25:1 is too much oil. The smoke should be minimal at best. A good synthetic oil can reduce smoke. Try 32:1 next time.
king quarterscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by king quarterscale View Post
First off I never hear back about your problem solved with hard starting. Second 25:1 is too much oil. The smoke should be minimal at best. A good synthetic oil can reduce smoke. Try 32:1 next time.
The hard starting problem is something I guess that is normal, the first three pools I pull them softly because when you pull the Rope it feels hard but I guess as the engine turns it softens up by the third or fourth hard pool it's already easy to pull start so I guess that's just part of the engine I'm not worried about that much anymore it starts fine after a couple pools. Now I'm running 25 to 1 mix ratio and using Amsoil dominator 2-stroke synthetic oil but as I mentioned I barely saw any smoke at all before now that I open the idle a little bit and Rich end up both the high and the low speed now I'm starting to see a healthy amount when I throttle up just want to know what is a good place or what should I be looking for. Now you mentioned there should be little to no oil but what about worrying about the lubricating properties of the engine as others mention if you don't see or oil there's not lubrication is this true to some point?
Old 04-10-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
Addict

Garage

If you tuned you engine to start properly. It should take 1-2 pulls on choke and 1-2 pull off choke. The stock carb setting are fine. As for excess oil if its leaving a puddle on the ground while reving and idling then it's too much oil. I run 32:1 with no problems. As you will soon find out too much oil can and will cause problems later with hard starting and bogging later.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #5

Running a mix of 32 to 1 how much smoke are you seeing from the exhaust for making for example from 02 Full Throttle at a snow increase of throttle are you seeing a constant trail of smoke or only at low or high speed just wondering about the smoke how much should I be looking for my mixture is 25 to 1 which is what the manual recommends at least for now I want to run it that way just need to get a basic understanding of how much smoke to look for to know that the engine is not running hot
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
Addict

Garage

A fog of smoke is too much A lite cloud is fine. You have to see it for yourself. There is no unit of measurement to describe it. I have run up to 40:1 and 50:1 with no problems. These engines back in the day all ran 32:1 and some where some how it changed to 25:1 ??????? Best way to see if the engine is running hot is to use a temp gun $20 @ Walmart or use telemetry sensors. A engine can only use so much oil and the rest is dumped out.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by king quarterscale View Post
A fog of smoke is too much A lite cloud is fine. You have to see it for yourself. There is no unit of measurement to describe it. I have run up to 40:1 and 50:1 with no problems. These engines back in the day all ran 32:1 and some where some how it changed to 25:1 ??????? Best way to see if the engine is running hot is to use a temp gun $20 @ Walmart or use telemetry sensors. A engine can only use so much oil and the rest is dumped out.
What is normal operating temperature on these small 2-stroke engines or a safe Zone what to look for
Old 04-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
Addict

Garage

????? I don't use temperature to check condition of my motor. As long as I now the oil mix is good I run it hard.