Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale General Tech > Engine & Exhaust

Notices

Thread: Tommy's Tips: Intake/Exhaust Blocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Addict

Lightbulb Tommy's Tips: Intake/Exhaust Blocks

I don't know why but everything Baja takes days rather than hours. Another observation is that there is -never- enough workspace available. With these two very annoying realities, how often have you wondered if that flying c-clip, body clip, snipping... or whatever, found a straight shot right into your engine through an open port? If you never have, you never tore apart a motor or even rebuilt a carb and this post may just be a waste of your time... unless you are an addict as most of are and just -love- reading this stuff :alarm:

Anyway, I was in the middle of rebuilding a new motor and found myself snipping aluminum mesh right next to the motor... and you guessed it... I -wondered- where the spillage went. So when I did finally take the whole motor apart I also made a few tools to help seal the thing off while I was working with it.

I happened to have some fiberglass sheets that is only .025" thick. It cuts up nicely with shears and drills well with a simple finger-drill. So why talk about something no one has... simple... you can even do this with some stiff cardboard, stiff plastic sheet, or even wood if you are so gifted. The tip here is how you hold it in place!

I used a stock gasket as patterns for the holes and edges; trimmed and smoothed the edges with a file; and installed them between the cylinder and the manifold/header. They are only here to protect the engine from flying debris and can be removed just before final assembly of the carb and pipe.

Enjoy the peace of mind that the motor is clean and ready to run when you fire it up.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Tommy's_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #2

Smile

Nice tip, Should be handy on my next rebuild.
slotwheels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
The Slowest Guy in Town

Very nice!
FastEddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tommy's Tips: Intake/Exhaust Blocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tommy's Tips: Flag and Mount Tommy's_Toys HPI Baja 5B 5 03-30-2012 07:46 PM
Tommy's Tips: Shock Collar Trick Tommy's_Toys HPI Baja 5B 2 02-23-2010 09:35 AM
Tommy's Tips: Pull Start Screen Tommy's_Toys Engine & Exhaust 8 01-03-2010 08:21 AM
Tommy's Tips: Yet Another Engine Dam Tommy's_Toys Engine & Exhaust 9 11-13-2009 08:34 AM
Tommy's Tips: The -Missing Wrench- Tommy's_Toys Engine & Exhaust 2 10-29-2009 12:10 PM