Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale General Tech > Engine & Exhaust

Notices

Thread: Baja 26cc engine problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2018, 11:19 PM   #1

Default Baja 26cc engine problems

Hey, I have a few questions... I have a HPI Baja 5b 26cc. It has not missed a beat up until the last few runs where it took a little longer to start and it didn't like idling low otherwise it would just stall. I broke it in and it did not need a choke to start as it only took 3 - 5 pulls to start and it was great! As the engines reliability lowered, a slight noise began from motor. Now not so much, i am an ex Nitro and electric operator so 2-stroke engines are relatively new to me, well engine working wise. I have 5 missing fins (which i did read that can put alot of vibration on the crankshaft as it is unbalanced. I have put on a brand new walbro carb and gaskets, and replaced the ignition coil and still does not want to fire, even though i am using root start.

Any suggestions and advice, please send through.

Cheers
Adam
Bajamad1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Addict

Garage
Default Re: Baja 26cc engine problems

Hard starts are from tooo much oil. 25:1 is fine for beak in after that switch to 32:1 and replace the plug. Don't toss out the old on clean it and it will be good as new. Make sure the coil is gaped correctly and you have spark too. A well tuned motor should only take 1-2 pull on choke and 1-2 pull of choke to start. Also make sure you put the carb gasket on correct . If the pule hole doesn't line up the engine will never start.

Last edited by king quarterscale; 04-23-2018 at 06:33 PM.
king quarterscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by king quarterscale View Post
Hard starts are from tooo much oil. 25:1 is fine for beak in after that switch to 32:1 and replace the plug. Don't toss out the old on clean it and it will be good as new. Make sure the coil is gaped correctly and you have spark too. A well tuned motor should only take 1-2 pull on choke and 1-2 pull of choke to start. Also make sure you put the carb gasket on correct . If the pule hole doesn't line up the engine will never start.

Thank for the advice. I have a new spark plug in it, i did set up the gap using like a business card. When i pulled apart the carburettor i noticed a little build up of dirt on the choke flap... Is it possible the dirt got into the engine. As it won't even fire.

Quick question, If a new engine is the only option. I was looking at Oneill Brothers racing engines. Although with a 34cc i am looking at $600 with postage? Or should i go the rovan 26cc standard and can get for $100 brand new?
Old 04-24-2018, 04:15 AM   #4

I know that Oneill Brothers racing make great engines, but i am not competing. Or would it still be better?
Old 04-24-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Addict

Garage

Buying a new engine is a waste of money and is a last resort if you blew the engine. If your getting spark then the carb is the problem. Try putting a little fuel in the spark hole and tighten it back up and remove the carb from the engine. try starting it again until if fires and runs out of gas. You may have flooded it. If it runs and dies then the carb is the problem. You will have to completely clean the carb again . If you do decide to get a new engine Rovan has 30.5cc $150 or the 29 cc $104 or bigger engines cheap or a Zenoah G290. These are only common suggestions with out actually seeing what your problem is. It may be different.
Or a top end kit only $50 @ ddm.

Last edited by king quarterscale; 04-24-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Buying a new engine is a waste of money and is a last resort if you blew the engine. If your getting spark then the carb is the problem. Try putting a little fuel in the spark hole and tighten it back up and remove the carb from the engine. try starting it again until if fires and runs out of gas. You may have flooded it. If it runs and dies then the carb is the problem. You will have to completely clean the carb again . If you do decide to get a new engine Rovan has 30.5cc $150 or the 29 cc $104 or bigger engines cheap or a Zenoah G290. These are only common suggestions with out actually seeing what your problem is. It may be different.
Or a top end kit only $50 @ ddm.
I am at work now, but will try it when I get home and try them. What about the G320 Zenoah engine? Or would the G290 be better? if last resort it come to a that
Old 04-25-2018, 04:06 AM   #7
Addict

Garage

The G320 is 4+ hp and $300 The G290 is 3.5 Hp and $220 The Rovan motors are cheaper 30.5 $155 3.75 HP. if the engine fire and runs without the carb on I would fix it.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #8

Quote:
The G320 is 4+ hp and $300 The G290 is 3.5 Hp and $220 The Rovan motors are cheaper 30.5 $155 3.75 HP. if the engine fire and runs without the carb on I would fix it.
Ok cool. I did pull the motor out to have a good look at it and where the piston is, the metal ring at the top is loose... Dunno if that has anything to do with it but it doesnít even fire when when the carby is on let alone off! I donít know, I tried your suggestions and they didnít work. Thatís when I decided to pull it down and thought maybe there was something missing but the only thing I could think that would be the problem would be the piston but then again I donít know a lot about the pistons in them.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:46 AM   #9
Addict

Garage

I suspect that may be the problem if it broke in two pieces. The ring won't sealing and compressing the fuel right. But did you check for spark too? A bad kill switch can cause problems too. The ring should sit in the groove on the piston and squeeze against the cylinder. It will be loose when you remove it. When you put it back in line it up so the gap is where the little pin is in the groove and compress it so it will slide back in. If you have spark and the motor will fire and you have started cleared out the fuel with the carb off. NO spark it will never start.

Last edited by king quarterscale; 04-26-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:32 AM   #10

I haven't actually pulled the piston out, but after taking carb off i noticed that was very loose at the top of the piston. The ignition coil is brand new and have checked the kill switch.. Quick question, Can you recommend a good air filter for the baja, one that has a cover, i am not all worried about loosing power just want the engine to be protected... Cheers
Old 04-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
Addict

Garage

ddm has some.

Tags
baja 5b, baja 5b ss, baja 5sc, baja 5t, hpi baja

Baja 26cc engine problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
baja engine and/or tuning problems goose465 Engine & Exhaust 4 08-28-2015 05:44 PM
CY 26cc engine flywheel seal against bearing ? Terryg43 Engine & Exhaust 1 10-17-2014 03:18 AM
Where to buy a CY 26cc engine shadetreebaja Engine & Exhaust 3 04-26-2010 12:00 PM