Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX3R and Killer Bee V1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #1

Default Spektrum DX3R and Killer Bee V1

So just installed a new killer bee v1 into my ss along with a bunch of other upgrades and I'm a little annoyed to find out that the killer bee v1 doesn't work properly when my DX3R is set to a frame rate of 5.5ms! now this might not be a war winning issue but I've also installed digital servos and my spektrum tx states that "Caution digital servos must be used with 5.5ms" any thoughts guys?

oh and other parts I just installed include:

nerf bars
RPM front and rear bumpers
killer rc suspension limiting cables
turtle racing 5b top plate
modified RC quick release roll cage tubes

My baja is really starting to look good :P oh and just broke the 4k mark! I'm an addict
Cpt_BULB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Addict

That's just so you'll know not to use analog servos in that mode, it will burn them up. Using digital servos in the analog mode will not hurt your digital servos. They are made that way to work with older radio systems that aren't digital.

I can't help with the killswitch issues, but the guy who makes them is on here all the time. Hopefully he'll let us know if it's an adjustment issue or if it's just not compatible with the Specky high speed mode. Did you make shure your radio was listed on the compatiblity chart for the killswitch you got?

We're getting a good little warm up this week. Perfect weather to go out and run, 60's here by this weekend. Makes a guy wish he'd already fixed his Baja.

Last edited by upDUHcreek; 01-25-2011 at 07:47 AM.
upDUHcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Addict

the digital setup at 5.5ms is very fast. to fast for the kill switch to decode it, thus why it needs to run at 11ms.

your digital servos will run on 11ms, and wont have an issue doing it. you just may not see FULL SPEED/TORQUE, but if its not full, it ll be so close, you wouldnt be able to tell.

you should be good at 11ms, even with the digi servos.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
the digital setup at 5.5ms is very fast. to fast for the kill switch to decode it, thus why it needs to run at 11ms.

your digital servos will run on 11ms, and wont have an issue doing it. you just may not see FULL SPEED/TORQUE, but if its not full, it ll be so close, you wouldnt be able to tell.

you should be good at 11ms, even with the digi servos.
+1 my DX3s doesnt even have a 5.5MS setting so i run 11MS (of course i dont have a killer bee either LOL)
lordraptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

funny story .. So I take the baja out for a bash and after 10mins I decide to test the tx kill switch .. it works great but... when I go to restart the engine I just pick the baja up off the ground .. now I know this isn't good but check out what I found when I took off the pull starter! .. so once again I walked back to my car carrying my baja (althought its alot easier carrying it by the recently attached nerf bars)
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Banned

WTF, dude i feel for you. i havent had this issue (just had numerous others) and honestly i dont find it funny at all, of course if this happens to me i will be contacting hpi for a replacement of at least the flywheel or better yet an rma (return merchandise authorization) for a whole new engine (stock 26s by the way)
Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #7

Yeah I was some what annoyed but I've come to realise I enjoy repairing/installing new parts just as much as actually bashing .. Have ordered replacement parts from ddm :) way to much down time associated with retrning products.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_BULB View Post
Yeah I was some what annoyed but I've come to realise I enjoy repairing/installing new parts just as much as actually bashing .. Have ordered replacement parts from ddm :) way to much down time associated with retrning products.
true but if you dont have the cash to spend for new ones there is always teh good old RMA
Old 01-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Not true. The Killer Bee works fine with radios that are faster than the DX3R, like the Futaba 4PKS. The problem is with the DX3R, not the kill switch. Read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_BULB View Post
So just installed a new killer bee v1 into my ss along with a bunch of other upgrades and I'm a little annoyed to find out that the killer bee v1 doesn't work properly when my DX3R is set to a frame rate of 5.5ms! now this might not be a war winning issue but I've also installed digital servos and my spektrum tx states that "Caution digital servos must be used with 5.5ms" any thoughts guys?
Be annoyed at Spektrum, not the Killer Bee. The Killer Bee can handle 5.5ms resolution. The problem is that your DX3R is not a true 3 channel radio when its in 5.5ms mode. Only channels 1 & 2 function during 5.5ms frame rate. Once you set it to 11ms the 3rd channel becomes active. Stupid design by Spektrum.

I don't really think the frame rate makes much difference. Your digital servos won't care what frame rate you use. Using a slower frame rate will make your battery pack last longer too. But if you really want to use 5.5ms you could get a v2S Killer Bee and put a splitter cable on your steering channel to power the v2S bee. But you wouldn't be able to use your Aux channel to kill the engine.

Last edited by Killer RC; 01-27-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Killer RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer rc View Post
Not true. The Killer Bee works fine with radios that are faster than the DX3R, like the Futaba 4PKS. The problem is with the DX3R, not the kill switch. Read below.

Be annoyed at Spektrum, not the Killer Bee. The Killer Bee can handle 5.5ms resolution. The problem is that your DX3R is not a true 3 channel radio when its in 5.5ms mode. Only channels 1 & 2 function during 5.5ms frame rate. Once you set it to 11ms the 3rd channel becomes active. Stupid design by Spektrum.

I don't really think the frame rate makes much difference. Your digital servos won't care what frame rate you use. Using a slower frame rate will make your battery pack last longer too. But if you really want to use 5.5ms you could get a v2S Killer Bee and put a splitter cable on your steering channel to power the v2S bee. But you wouldn't be able to use your Aux channel to kill the engine.
Thanks for the response .. annoyed feelings re-directed to Spektrum
Old 01-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Addict

Killer
Really? That's pretty messed up. I'd be REALLY po'd if I had purchased one and found that out. I'd be trying to get my money back from whom ever I purchased it from. If they wouldn't refund my purchase price, I'd go after spectrum.
upDUHcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Addict

Yup. Plug in a servo in the 3rd channel and you'll see that it doesn't move unless you switch to 11ms.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer rc View Post
Yup. Plug in a servo in the 3rd channel and you'll see that it doesn't move unless you switch to 11ms.
is this the same if using a v2-s? not like it really matters to me since i 1. dont have a killer bee because i cannot afford one right now and usually spend my mony replacing stock parts with aftermarket so my baja will finally quit breaking LOL. and i dont use teh third channel anyway LOL
Old 03-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #14
Racer

what about a spectrum DX3E, i was thinking bout getting me another receiver, cuz right now it in my axiel 1/10 scale rock crawler, so a 2nd receiver in my 5t i can use same radio, but is it comaptible with the bee?
Lan-Ed-Tul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan-Ed-Tul View Post
what about a spectrum DX3E, i was thinking bout getting me another receiver, cuz right now it in my axiel 1/10 scale rock crawler, so a 2nd receiver in my 5t i can use same radio, but is it comaptible with the bee?
Yes. Use a v1 or v2s. http://www.killerrc.com/faq/comparison_chart.php

http://www.killerrc.com/faq/faq.php
Old 03-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Racer

thanks.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
Banned

finally got a killer bee V2s sometime back and i dont have any complaints on it nor do i have any complaints on my spektrum. now i do have complaints on another vendors radio but i wont get started on them because i am sure tehre are alot of fanboys for them here
Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
Racer

had a run today with truck and had a minor issue, the tab that hangs out there for gear cover to bolt on for this 2 speed cover caught the nipple end of the hostile boot, and ripped it off the boot, we found out this was the cause, so i ground tab and bolt head down as close to the bolt hole as i can, making more clearance, i ordered a new set of hostile boots too. should be ok now but will check before next run to make sure.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
Racer

new boots arrived from Tulare hobbies today got the damaged one swapped out and truck back together, also Tulare sent me a new Vstack it got here yesterday, it has larger bore than one that came with max flow kit. everything seems to function right now on choke butterfly.

waitin for a nice day to run a test again. got some money comin from 401k i cancelled cause i got fired from job, so i will prolly grabbin me a 4pks futaba 5755 ans 7955 servos,and a Bee. last real major money i can afford, and wifes gonna be miffed at me on this purchase i know.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #20

I read a couple of years ago the the DX3R would only change the steering rate to 5.5ms while the throttle will stay at 11ms and the Aux goes dead.
The DX3R Pro says it goes 5.5ms in both Steering and throttle. I don't know what the Aux does with the Pro.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Spektrum DX3R and Killer Bee V1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Killer RC light controller and Killer Bee kill switch sickchevy Electronics 7 09-21-2012 05:01 PM
Spektrum DX3R Killroy Electronics 3 01-26-2010 10:21 AM
spektrum dx3r BaJaFiVeTeE Electronics 0 10-17-2009 03:54 PM
spektrum dx3r problems sloth118 Electronics 1 09-15-2009 06:18 PM
Spektrum DX3R and DX3S?? CharbelHamamji Electronics 12 03-27-2009 03:04 PM