Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What's the best steering servo for Baja 5t?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

Default What's the best steering servo for Baja 5t?

Im looking for the best steering servo for my baja 5t, i want it to fit right in without changing anything at most if needed a servo adapter, simply buy and put it right in and run it on 6v, price isn't and issue, i just want the best quality stuff, any recommendations? Also i will be using HS-7955TG for Throttle if anyone has a better option let me know, as long as there isn't major work to be done to fit it in. Sorry if its a newbie question, its my first R/C Buggy. thanks
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Addict

Welcome to the site. Hopefully this will help some.

We could use just a little more info to properly help you out.

What radio are you using? Some radios have a high speed mode that will only work with digital servos. If you don't own one of these radios, an analog servo will work just fine and save you a few $$ you could use on other hopups.

Why do you need/want another servo? Did your old one burn up? Is it just too slow, or too weak? The more you can tell us, the more we'll be able to help you.

Lots of people, including me, run this servo.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.7071/.f
It works very well, even though it doesn't cost very much. It is a little smaller than the stock servo so you'll need the spacer on this tree,
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...it.A/id.267/.f
or you can get a metal spacer like this one
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6226/.f
upDUHcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Made in.....

5755 here as well.
robmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #4

Im using Futaba 3PKS Radio, and the stock servos just aren't fast or strong enough for me, I was wondering will i need some sort of mounting bracket for the HS-7955TG or will it play nice? Im using this servo for throttle still haven't found one for steering yet, but im leaning towards the HS-5755MG, will this servo need mounting brackets also?

Last edited by hackattack; 01-17-2011 at 05:22 AM.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Addict

the hitec 5805 is a perfect fit for the stock HPI steering servo.

the 5755, 5745, and rhino are slightly smaller and need an adapter bracket, where the 5805 does not need the adapter.
same torques on it as well. and it has the 8mm hd output gear.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by upDUHcreek View Post
Welcome to the site. Hopefully this will help some.

We could use just a little more info to properly help you out.

What radio are you using? Some radios have a high speed mode that will only work with digital servos. If you don't own one of these radios, an analog servo will work just fine and save you a few $$ you could use on other hopups.

Why do you need/want another servo? Did your old one burn up? Is it just too slow, or too weak? The more you can tell us, the more we'll be able to help you.

Lots of people, including me, run this servo.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.7071/.f
It works very well, even though it doesn't cost very much. It is a little smaller than the stock servo so you'll need the spacer on this tree,
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...it.A/id.267/.f
or you can get a metal spacer like this one
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6226/.f
Any info on this mount for the 5755 ? dark soul is always a good way to go but this one looks good too. But I don't have any experience with it.
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....t.A/id.6232/.f
phil22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Addict

i use that braked (PA RACING) for my 5755 and Rhino servos. its a GREAT servo. it not only holds the servo very rigid (no flex) it also makes the entire radio box more stable.

I have made changes in my personal rigs, for the way you install the PA braket and setup the servo and steering linkage. its works very well.

i have a sticky on HBF that details what you want to do.
i think its in the suspension section of the forum.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Banned

the best servo for steering hands down is the JR ds8711 with 403 oz/in torque @ 6 volts, price is good at 139.99 from horizon hobby. check it out here:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JRPS8711
lordraptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Racer

wonder what its case size is, doesnt say, is it like the 5755, where you have to use the spacer mount, or like the 5805 where it drops righ in there?

myself, i think i will go with 5755, mainly cuz most people here use that with no probs. and its a bit cheaper in price off ddm
Lan-Ed-Tul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan-Ed-Tul View Post
wonder what its case size is, doesnt say, is it like the 5755, where you have to use the spacer mount, or like the 5805 where it drops righ in there?

myself, i think i will go with 5755, mainly cuz most people here use that with no probs. and its a bit cheaper in price off ddm
it uses teh adapter, the jr servo is widely used in helis and is far superior to the hitec servo.

in this case it is true you get what you pay for
Old 03-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Racer

well the 5755 must be a good servo, or else the majority of 5B and T runners wouldnt use them. so it must be a good servo. if cash was no object then i would run with the servo you posted, but cash is limited right now, with no job. so i get what i can afford. and anyways, the 5755 is a better servo than its got right now, and that one hasnt failed me yet.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
Banned

true, i am going to hold out with my stocker till i can get teh jr myself though.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordraptor1 View Post
the best servo for steering hands down is the JR ds8711 with 403 oz/in torque @ 6 volts, price is good at 139.99 from horizon hobby. check it out here:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JRPS8711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan-Ed-Tul View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordraptor1 View Post
it uses teh adapter, the jr servo is widely used in helis and is far superior to the hitec servo.

in this case it is true you get what you pay for
Its actually a standard 1/8th 10th scale size servo......just like your T/B servo

WORST servo to run in the T for steering

Run the HPI SFL-30

Hands down the best servo ive ever ran.............

And ive ran em all JR9100T, JR DS8711, Rhino, Hitec all of em.........

The HPI is the BEST one you can get

The JR servo WILL NOT hold up to the abuse it will get from the T

Last edited by socalk61000; 03-11-2011 at 10:46 PM.
socalk61000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #14
Racer

write up on that servo states it isnt quite as high a torque as a 5755, but maintains the torque over full sweep. i just am querstioning the 5755's all metal gears to this ones hybrid metal/plastic first gear, seems the 5755 all metal would be better to me. but i dunno, will that hpi fit without a meaty mount, like a 5755 has to have?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalk61000 View Post
Its actually a standard 1/8th 10th scale size servo......just like your T/B servo

WORST servo to run in the T for steering

Run the HPI SFL-30

Hands down the best servo ive ever ran.............

And ive ran em all JR9100T, JR DS8711, Rhino, Hitec all of em.........

The HPI is the BEST one you can get

The JR servo WILL NOT hold up to the abuse it will get from the T
sorry i have to disagree about teh sfl30 being better than the jr servo. 403 oz/in of torque that the jr spanks the hitec one ;) (finding the right adapter plate on teh other hand is the tricky part since everyone seems to be catering to the hitec and rhino) to each their own though, however if the sfl's were so good then why bother with an alternative steering servo at all?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #16
Addict

Lordrapter
Because that is a standard size servo, I wouldn't reccomend it. The smaller output shaft and gears inside it are weaker simply because of their smaller size. You really need to get a large scale servo. I know they aren't as expencive, but they will last much longer than ANY standard size servo. The steering servo will experience a lot of shock from bumps and wrecks. You really need the larger size servo to be able to withstand all the shock. Not to mention you'll have a hard time adapting the standard size servo to fit.

Usually I reccomend you spend as much as you can afford on your electronics, but this is a rare situation where the less expencive servos are actually better because they are bigger, and that's what the application calls for. That would make one bad to the bone throttle/brake servo though.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Lordrapter
Because that is a standard size servo, I wouldn't reccomend it. The smaller output shaft and gears inside it are weaker simply because of their smaller size. You really need to get a large scale servo. I know they aren't as expencive, but they will last much longer than ANY standard size servo. The steering servo will experience a lot of shock from bumps and wrecks. You really need the larger size servo to be able to withstand all the shock. Not to mention you'll have a hard time adapting the standard size servo to fit.

Usually I reccomend you spend as much as you can afford on your electronics, but this is a rare situation where the less expencive servos are actually better because they are bigger, and that's what the application calls for. That would make one bad to the bone throttle/brake servo though.
it is way overkill for a throttle/brake servo even if using it for 4 wheel brakes and the throttle. i stand behind what i said though it is a good servo and it is definatley a better option compared to teh hpi slf servos. i think it would work well for steering with metal gears though and considering i have seen larger 1/4 servos break the output shafts (both plastic and metal) i dont see why it wouldnt work. an adapter plate sould be easily made out of a piece of flat aluminum (if one doesnt already exsist) this of course is just my opinion and also considering i have seen 1/4 scale cars running dual rhinos for steering servos have steering servo failure i believe there is honestly not a steering servo out there yet that will be perfect . i am considering giving it a try anyway just for teh hell of it besides if teh servo gears fail i can replace them and keep the servo hanging around till i cna find a use for it so (maybe a heli in the future )
Old 03-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #18
Addict

It's you money, and it's your decision. I'm shure you know I'm just trying to help. I know all the trouble you've had with your Baja, and I'm just trying to keep you from having any more trouble by making a bad choice on a new steering servo, especially when there are cheeper choices that will work better. I know any servo can be broken, but when using a large scale servo it's much less likely to happen. The major reason people break the larger servos is because they overtighten the servo saver. It's not the fault of the servo, it's because they have basicly disabled the only device that protects the servo from damage no servo can survive.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
It's you money, and it's your decision. I'm shure you know I'm just trying to help. I know all the trouble you've had with your Baja, and I'm just trying to keep you from having any more trouble by making a bad choice on a new steering servo, especially when there are cheeper choices that will work better. I know any servo can be broken, but when using a large scale servo it's much less likely to happen. The major reason people break the larger servos is because they overtighten the servo saver. It's not the fault of the servo, it's because they have basicly disabled the only device that protects the servo from damage no servo can survive.
i know bud, just thought it would be wrth a try, i mean if the jr sewrvo can handle a major crash in a gas heli (yes gas not nitro) i dont see why it wouldnt work in a baja. i appreciate the advice though but again i have other things to worry about before a steering servo (this time it is clutch and dogbones which sucks for a baja that has only had a total of myabe 4 tanks of fuel through it and this was on factory carb settings LOL)
Old 03-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
by the way, have you checked out my new forum yet bud? i made some changes to it just now in the looks department , if not check it out and give me some feedback .

http://largescalebaja.forumotion.com/

Last edited by badger; 03-12-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: restoring original post

What's the best steering servo for Baja 5t? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
steering servo bajasstony Electronics 8 07-27-2010 07:51 AM
HELP!! Steering servo not fitting in baja 5b ss kit Nik Electronics 6 12-27-2009 01:02 PM
Baja 5b steering servo Beckumblue Electronics 2 12-14-2008 11:57 AM
Video #23 Building the Baja 5B SS (Page 15 Steering & Servo saver 2 of 2) FastEddy Building the HPI Baja 5B SS. Page By page Video Tutorials 1 06-25-2008 04:42 PM
Video #22 Building the Baja 5B SS (Page 15 Steering & Servo saver 1 of 2) FastEddy Building the HPI Baja 5B SS. Page By page Video Tutorials 1 06-25-2008 04:40 PM