Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Large Scale General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Fail safe kill switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #1

Default Fail safe kill switch

I have a question about the fail safe on the futaba radio I am going to us. It is the 3X radio and they say it has a failsafe. Now I have read here that you need a kill switch to prevent runaways. Is this not what the failsafe on the radio is for? I am confused. Just want to be sure I am getting what I need.

Thanks

Grav
Gravman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Addict

Failsafes and killswitches do different things. A failsafe will move your servos to a pre-assigned position. But what happens if your servo fails when you are WOT? a Failsafe will not stop you then. A kill switch will stop the engine from running in event you lose radio contact with the car, the receiver battery goes dead, or if you have it set up to a push button on the radio. I leave my failsafe at neutral position for both steering and throttle. If I start to have a runaway or I just want to stop my engine, I can just press a button on my remote to kill the engine. Get yourself a Killer Killswitch and have worry free fun, because it is not just you that you are keeping safe from a 30lb car running at 40+mph.
wookiee528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Basher

The Killer kill switch is awsome and a great must have accessory to any Baja. For starters it's cool to be able to just turn your baja off when you want to with out having to press the red button. Also most importantly you dont want that 40+ pound rc running WOOT at someone or something. I have seen many fail safes not work in my life. LOL. The Kill Switch will always work. With the Kill Switch your in control of your Baja and not the other way around.
vge72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Addict

Yes could not agree more, these cars can be very dangerous.The kill switch should be standard equipment out of the box. :2cents:
andrew cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Basher

Trust me the kill switch is worth the money it will costt alot more to repair the damages on your car from a runaway I learned that the hard way
this cost me over 350 dollars. That includes the money I gave to the owner of the truck it scratched
Click the image to open in full size.
edgar5bss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Addict

Bummer. Is that a Spektrum radio I see?
Not surprised.
Killer RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Addict

Edgar
Looks like you bent both your frame and the top plate with a hard hit to the nose. I did that to mine fighting with a tree.
upDUHcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
Basher

i dont use a fail sale,never had any trouble out of mine,i keep my battery charged.
marty moorefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb2themax View Post
Bummer. Is that a Spektrum radio I see?
Not surprised.
nothing wrong with the spektrum radios at all you sure you are not thinking of a futaba radio :p
lordraptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Addict

heh, Spectrum and large scale gassers go together like fire and ice. sometime they ll be ok, as long as they are near eachother. lol
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #11
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordraptor1 View Post
nothing wrong with the spektrum radios at all you sure you are not thinking of a futaba radio :p
Nope. Look at that picture of his bent chassis. You'll see a Spektrum radio right next to it. Theres the culprit. ;)
Killer RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
Addict

I'm guessing your talking about the issues some people have been having with the spectrum radios. Many report short range, and/or glitches. I've heard speculation that the ignition system is interfearing with the reciever. Would you happen to know what the problem is? I know VERY little about electronics, unless you want to know which brand to get. I've got 25+ year old Futaba radios that still work just fine. I even tested my old 2 stick radio last year, it still has a range over 200 yards. No telling how many time's I've dropped that thing over the years, but she still works like a champ. Only one problem with any of my Futaba radios, that's the loose nut behind the wheel.

By the way, I love my Killer B kill switch. Thanks for putting out such a quality product, at a reasonable price. Thanks for all the help you give out, some of us really need help too.
upDUHcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
Addict

So basically you can use a kill switch with the fail safe on a radio cause most new and popular radios have the fail safe built in. Do you just reset the fail safe to nuetral position or should it still be used. I just am a bit confused because on the killer bee site one says you can't use the kill switch with a built in fail safe yet they list most radios that are compatible with the killer switch and these radios use a built in fail safe. HELP!, very comfused at the moment.
zignzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by upDUHcreek View Post
I'm guessing your talking about the issues some people have been having with the spectrum radios. Many report short range, and/or glitches. I've heard speculation that the ignition system is interfearing with the reciever. Would you happen to know what the problem is? I know VERY little about electronics, unless you want to know which brand to get. I've got 25+ year old Futaba radios that still work just fine. I even tested my old 2 stick radio last year, it still has a range over 200 yards. No telling how many time's I've dropped that thing over the years, but she still works like a champ. Only one problem with any of my Futaba radios, that's the loose nut behind the wheel.

By the way, I love my Killer B kill switch. Thanks for putting out such a quality product, at a reasonable price. Thanks for all the help you give out, some of us really need help too.
i run a DX3s and i have NO issues out of mine in terms of range or anything, i believe the spektrum got a bad reputation from people not knowing proper instalation, not reading instructions for them or are just not paying attention to what tehy are doing. proof of my statement can be found in large scale gas planes and spektrum radio systems, i have not heard of 1 reported case of a spektrum radio failing in a large scale 2-cycle plane i have however heard of multiple crashes (as well as seen some of the damaged planes (and ones going down) running fasst systems. now with that said i am one of those that uses a reasonably thick ds foam tape and i have my rx antennae prodtruding from my radio box although i do not use an antennae tube and i personally have seen no issues with using spektrum in my baja. another thing to consider is actually how the futaba and spektrum systems work, spektrum finds a channel and stays on it while futaba systems channel hop constantly
Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
Racer

my spekky 3 channel i use on my crawler works great, had it a waya way from me and no signal loss,and i was seriously thinkin bout just gettin a new receiver and using it on my 5T. but with some money comin soon from 401k lump payment, im thinkin of goin with a 4pks and 5755 and 7955 servos from ddm and gettin the Bee
Lan-Ed-Tul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #16
Basher

I dont get this whole "SPEKY SUCKS FOR GASSERS" thing.
I have a DX3s... works GREAT.
Ive used them for a few years on Nitros and learned more about them BEFORE I went with one for my Gasser.....

my research showed (ALOT OF READING and looking between the lines)
they ARE a little less range IF YOU USE THE TELEM RX.
and buggy also.
its not the radio as much WHICH RECIEVER you use.
I had the telem rx in mine and it did "bug" a little.
switched to the sport rx... no more issues.

you cant effectivle use the telem on a gasser anyhow... so the sport is your better choice anyhow...

I know this was all a waste of breath\typing because its like a ford/chevy argument between pals... but its my 2 cents...

thanks
drgnslaayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnslaayer View Post
I dont get this whole "SPEKY SUCKS FOR GASSERS" thing.
I have a DX3s... works GREAT.
Ive used them for a few years on Nitros and learned more about them BEFORE I went with one for my Gasser.....

my research showed (ALOT OF READING and looking between the lines)
they ARE a little less range IF YOU USE THE TELEM RX.
and buggy also.
its not the radio as much WHICH RECIEVER you use.
I had the telem rx in mine and it did "bug" a little.
switched to the sport rx... no more issues.

you cant effectivle use the telem on a gasser anyhow... so the sport is your better choice anyhow...

I know this was all a waste of breath\typing because its like a ford/chevy argument between pals... but its my 2 cents...

thanks
yep thats about sums it up
Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
Racer

its like mentioned earlier, a lil research into the system reveals alot of info.

ive used airtronics, futaba, spektrums, and all have worked great for me, and it mostly always bolied down to reading the manuals that come with them, for proper setup. my d3xe spekky has worked with out a hitch at all on the crawler, and ive run that thing a ways away from me, so its got a decent range, as i have yet to lose the control on it. now i hear, that some rc's can possibly interupt the signal, but yet to see any on mine that do. and my rc's range from electrics to gassers, and im not finding any signal loss or interuptions yet.

i think spekky's did get a bum rap, cause thier earlier radios werent the best or all that great, but since theyve moved into the 2.4's whick mine is, seems to me to be just as good a radio as a 400 to 500 dollar radio system, and some of the higher end ones they come out with will do similar things as the high dollar counterparts.

so, really, spekky's arent really all that bad a radio, i think at least, until i experience any problems with mine, just my 2 1/2 cents, lol
Lan-Ed-Tul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee528 View Post
Failsafes and killswitches do different things. A failsafe will move your servos to a pre-assigned position. But what happens if your servo fails when you are WOT? a Failsafe will not stop you then. A kill switch will stop the engine from running in event you lose radio contact with the car, the receiver battery goes dead, or if you have it set up to a push button on the radio. I leave my failsafe at neutral position for both steering and throttle. If I start to have a runaway or I just want to stop my engine, I can just press a button on my remote to kill the engine. Get yourself a Killer Killswitch and have worry free fun, because it is not just you that you are keeping safe from a 30lb car running at 40+mph.
if the failsafe is setup to apply brakes, then there is no fear of runaway cars, because applying brakes also cuts the throttle. Now if youre brakes dont work...thats another problem
ed1380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #20
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1380 View Post
if the failsafe is setup to apply brakes, then there is no fear of runaway cars, because applying brakes also cuts the throttle. Now if youre brakes dont work...thats another problem
You're ASS U ME ing that the servo is strong enough to overcome a throttle stuck at WFO (wide freaking open)

I'd like to know what servos you run because I don't even trust my JR with in excess of 400 oz/in for that.

Set your radios failsafe by all means. Get a killswitch too though. I've had a runaway. Guess what! Failsafe didn't overcome. I won't run without a killswitch again. These things are 30+ lb missiles.

Sent from da lower level iPhone using wanna Tapdatshit
biggiecamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Fail safe kill switch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fail Safe/Kill Switch Confusion zignzag Electronics 6 12-27-2010 07:42 PM
Fail Safe LED is on phil22 Electronics 4 11-08-2010 09:15 AM
newbe fail-safe question raslightning Electronics 1 04-12-2010 03:28 PM
futaba 2.4 fail safe Lord shado Electronics 5 07-28-2009 12:44 AM
Fail Safe vrs. Kill switch BajaRat HPI Baja 5B 4 04-26-2009 09:58 PM