Go Back   RCLargeScale.com > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: How did you get into 5th scale R/C?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Addict

Default How did you get into 5th scale R/C?

I had been into R/C for over 20 years before getting a Smartech buggy with a CY 27cc on it. A friend that had just gotten a Baja hooked me up with it. Living this close to lsrc it was just a matter of time for me to make the switch. Nothing is more fun to run than a big old gas burning beast!
highwaystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Made in.....

My dad bought the original 5B shortly after it's release. Even after trying it out, I wasn't feeling it.

FastEddy showed me the one he had and talked it up, but I couldn't bring myself to shell out the $1k for it. Funny thing is that I spent much more than that setting up my Kyosho ST-R when I got it. LOL

Then my dad passed away and I inherited his 5B which I promptly "upgraded" with the help of FastEddy. I was hooked and have since added a 5B SS as well as the 5T which I am converting to a 5SC.

I haven't touched a nitro since.
robmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Addict

I have only been doing the r/c thing for about 4 years now and bought before knowing that FS was a clone thing ...now I still have 5 r/c's...2-5th,fs,baja 5b/ 2- 8th mugens 6t,5t nitro/1-10th 2wd slash stock...for now....

See it all started when the price of guns and ammo when up...and needed a cheaper hobby....lol Wrong...lol but I can r/c in more places than I could go shooting ...so it all works out...
338lapua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Addict

Garage

Been in out of RC for 20+++ years..my first large scale purchase was an FG MT about 8 (?) years or so ago. Been hooked on the gassers ever since. I blame Mark Hull.
CraftWerks-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
I break shit

Garage

While I was out in Colorado a few years ago to run crawlers with Jason and the crawler crew out there, Jason pulled out his Baja 5B to bash and basically had non stop problems starting it. He did manage to get it started and ran it for a while then just got fed up with it because it broke or he couldn't get it started again so I asked him if he wanted to trade the new scaler I just built for that trip and to my surprise he said yes. So my scaler stayed in CO and he shipped me the beat up 5B.

Here's the scaler I traded for the 5B.

Click the image to open in full size.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
Addict

Garage

Cool Scaler... What did the beat up B look like?
CraftWerks-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
Braaaaap Braaaaap

Garage

For me it was kind of weird. I had been into RC for 10+ years when I was younger then sort of went away from it. Then I messed up my back so I needed something to do. I bought a couple 5b's, then started to do custom cars for people, then started doing show cars, then started to promote rc shows, met some very cool people in the business and am still going at it strong.
Although I don't get to race or use my cars much I like being involved with the hobby from the inside and bringing it to new people.
The opportinities that have arrisen from my lil projects have opened some really cool doors. Who would have thought that would happen? ha ha

It's really cool to know that all of these great people from the industry have helped me to give away over $30,000 worth of RC products this year alone and raised some huge cash for charity in the process. What an extremely cool thing to be part of!!!

What I really like about 1/5th scale are the endless possibilites. There are so many options and different ways to do things. Plus it's a great platform to experiment with.

All Hail the 1/5th scale!!!!
LOST IN MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftwerks-rc View Post
Cool Scaler... What did the beat up B look like?
I offered to help Badger out and do the rebuild for him on the traded Baja, here is the rebuild thread, unfortunately i had deleted some of the pictures from my Photobucket account, someday Ill have to sort through the mountains of pictures on my puter and see if I can find them-

So I have been in and out of the RC thing for probablt approaching 30 years now, my first RC was the Tamiya Grasshopper, followed by a Tamiya Frog, and then a gold tub RC10, and then just random cars here and there. When the Baja was released, I worked at a shop doing mini moto stuff (pocket bikes, GoPeds, gokarts and so on) and we thought that the Baja (using a GoPed engine) was pretty cool, so we got one at the shop, think we lucked out and got one of the very first Bajas out of the first batch, and the rest they say, is history
DarkSoul Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Addict

Okay, I started in the RC side 20+ years ago with a JRXT, I was 15 at that time. Did my racing. Got bored got back into old VWs again. I never touched it for 20+ years. I was watching this Hot Rod show on Spike on the weekend at work and they did a short segment on this gas operated RC car called the HPI Baja a year or so ago. I always wanted an RC car/truck that was nitro powered, but gas powered was even better. So the HPI Baja option was stuck in my head. When my son was 4 I found my old JRXT at my parents house. I dusted it off bought some batteries and charged it up. I handed my son the remote. He was having a blast. So seeing how enthused he was about this RC truck, I wanted to buy an up to date one. I was looking at a Losi LST XXL and found the Baja 5B which led me to the Baja 5T. I browsed through various forums for a month and half. Then around Christmas I pulled the trigger and got the HPI Baja 5T. I recall reading about the size dimensions, whipped out the tape measure and tried to visualize it on the table. I did not think it was big at all. Then the box arrived and I pulled it out and placed it on the kitchen counter.... WTF!!!...
one2boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Addict

I have had Rc cars for a long time.
First one was the tamiya frog, then was the rc10. The list goes on and on.
1/5th scale my wife bought me a 5t and had it in a big box for me in the living room when I got home from work. That was the beginning of the end :)
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
Addict

Had too many rcs in the last 27 years... hate nitro my friend frosty bought a 5b and told me about dunetoberfest #1 being planned so I bought one :)
sdboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
Addict

Always been a gear head and when I found the hobby I was hooked instantly. Dreamed about a revo for a long time thinking a baja was way out of my price point. Found the forum and knew I had to get a baja after seeing some of project builds. Got the 5bss as my first ever rc and been adding to it and the collection for the past 8 years.
ajw801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 AM   #13
Basher

We have been running a track at our house for a few years now... I really never thought I would get into 5th scales... they are realistically too big for our track (or so I thought) and a lot of cash... well a buddy brought his 5SC over early this year... and we all got a chance to beat it up around the track... and it got everyone hooked... then I found Dogpile Racing and the fact that Bob and I have a mutual (non-RC) friend and hit it off... its been all down hill from there... LOL
orgnoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #14

Back in late 2009 I picked up a Radioshack Xmod because my buddy at work had gotten one the day before. About 2 weeks into these things and we're buying hopups on ebay and making them as fast as possible. Well, I needed something bigger so I did my research and thought the Slash was perfect! It looked like a trophy truck and was HUGE. I remember thinking of how big the Slash was when I got it in the mail LOL. Well, ended up meeting some large scale guys (Carlos aka Estrellainc aka Kerlos aka Miami Whammy) and it was all over from there. Now I can't get enough of gas powered awesomeness haha.

Subsequently I opened a R/C track (1/10 & 1/8 offroad) with a fellow large scaler and this month we break ground on our 2nd track THIS month... a large scale dirt oval!
ohdeeuhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
Addict

Back about 2001 I traded my pimped out T-maxx for a FG Marder on a RC forum. I had never seen one before but it looked cool, so we traded. I loved the Marder except it was hard to find parts and tires. I went through tires quick. So I sold it, and got into some other hobbies. Then in 2007 I had some $ burning a hole in my pocket so I looked into buying a Marder again cuz I wanted another 2 cycle RC, but then I saw the HPI Baja, and the rest is history.
Killer RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
The Slowest Guy in Town

Always been into RCs. I saw a post on a nitro forum that I was a moderator on and knew that I wanted one. I had to hang out for several months before they were available. I got one of the first RTR purple chassis buggies from the first run. ( I also needed to get one before RobMob did ) Its been close to what now, 6 years?
FastEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
Addict

Default Re: How did you get into 5th scale R/C?

I just sold my fishing boat, cash was burning a hole in my pocket so I said F It and got a 5ive....And in typical Murphys fashion the boat I have wanted for a year now just came back up for sale.....
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
Team Driver:
Turtle Racing, DarkSoul Racing ,Team FastEddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal 2500HD View Post
I just sold my fishing boat, cash was burning a hole in my pocket so I said F It and got a 5ive....And in typical Murphys fashion the boat I have wanted for a year now just came back up for sale.....
good choice with the 5ive where are you running it at?
sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
Addict

I have a few spots to bash here in Fremont but Im really looking forward to heading up to Petaluma and doing some racing. Any more local spots that are closer to here Im down for as well...Hell Ill throw some slicks on it and go tear up some parking lots.
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #20
Basher

Garage

Got my first car back in 79 the tamiya rough rider then got in to nitro, no such thing as pull start engines then it was all bump start.
Since had boats,planes and the odd car in between. Got back in cars in the late 90's, then saw a fg at a local track and i had to have one since then never looked back but still run my nitro's as well.
nitro-killer is offline   Reply With Quote

How did you get into 5th scale R/C? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/5th scale V8 LOST IN MN Chit Chat 8 05-20-2013 09:33 AM
1/5th scale snowmobile LOST IN MN Non Large Scale RC's 4 09-15-2011 08:05 AM
Is the Baja your first 5th scale RC? FastEddy HPI Baja 5B 73 09-07-2010 01:06 PM
5th scale tracks uk sloth118 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 1 07-02-2010 07:12 AM
liking 1/5th Scale lords Introduce yourself 3 11-30-2008 08:34 PM